Monday, September 14, 2009

before bernd and hilla becher...

tower4

tower3

tower2

tower1

it was quite good hunting this weekend, and i will be posting numerous finds from a local library book sale and the rose bowl flea market. one of the nicest finds was this group of snapshots of industrial towers. of course, these reminded me instantly of the serial imagery of the bechers, who photographed industrial architecture in series and presented them in grid forms. while these are clearly snapshots, whomever took the photos seemed to have known what they were doing, and like the bechers the images are both beautiful and somewhat cold - similar to the structures themselves.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

wow, great find. The fact that they form a series and almost from the exact same angle in each is interesting as well. I wish I knew who tool them! Of course, I imagine that this imposing sort of architechture must have been on many peoples' minds...it seems so rigid, cold, and phallic.

Anyway, I wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog. It's incredibly in depth and (most importantly, I think) unpretentious, which I think is rare.

6:06 PM  
Blogger sroden said...

hi madison,
thanks so much for the comment and the kind words. i appreciate you finding a lack of pretentiousness here, i try to keep it humble and human... nice to know it's working.
steve

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home